I stumbled across this the other day, and found it interesting, as in a “Never-Trumper voting for Trump” interesting: Feeling Pushed Towards Trump. Excerpt:
Another reason I feel more ill at ease is that I’ve seen how much the left will not tolerate the reality of religious belief. One of the wonders of the US Constitution is that it protects the freedom of individuals to be wrong. Majority opinion legislates, but minority rights are protected: You remain free to speak, to think, and to govern your private affairs according to your own beliefs, however unpopular.
This is the only way for a pluralistic society to survive. What I am seeing is that the Left which Biden and Harris pander to cannot tolerate this pluralism.
- Here’s yet another example of campus movements to shut down free debate among disagreeing points of view.
- Here’s Dianne Feinstein of all people being censored by the left for behaving in a civil manner across party lines — not caving, not compromising, just being polite. The audacity!
- Here’s the letter from Harper’s that made woke heads spin because the Old Left still believes in free speech.
- Here’s the Associated Press being horrified that a private, church-run school would dare hold beliefs that its church has accepted as doctrine for 2,000 years, and would therefore discourage those who disagree with those beliefs from attending and teaching at such a school — even though it means turning down tuition money, and even though this is an entirely private, 100% voluntary initiative which nobody is required to support in any manner. We are not speaking here of legally-mandated attendance at your local public school. This is people doing their thing entirely privately, and no one needs get involved who doesn’t care for that thing.
- Here’s a whole Twitter feed of nothing but radical feminists standing up for the reality of the female sex against the woke-left that wants to shut down anyone, left or right, who insists that human biology is a thing.
- Here’s The Atlantic on the real fear that left-leaning academics have if they fail to be woke enough and end up getting cancelled.
Aye, there’s the rub.
A big part of the current political unease many people feel with Congressional Democrats and the various Democrat candidates is precisely this lack of tolerance. We’ve come a long ways since Ronald Reagan described his relationship with Tip O’Neill as being “friends after 6PM.”
We saw a little bit of this when Dianne Feinstein, a leftist pol for whom I have absolutely no affection, actually showed a little respect and affection for Lindsey Graham, with whom she has worked side-by-side for years. She was roundly blasted for that gesture of ordinary humanity by the Left, including demands that she resign her Senate seat.
That’s another reason I’m suspicious of the polls. You could say that all the Democrats had to do this election cycle was to not be crazy. They failed at that.