Run a Google search on “Obama declaring martial law” and you’ll get 122,000 or so results. Mind you, a lot of those are debunking the idea that President Obama will find some pretext to declare martial law and suspend this fall’s elections, effectively making him President-For-Life. Notorious nut-bar conspiracy kook Alex Jones, among others, have been beating that drum for a while now.
It’s bullshit. It’s stupid, senseless conspiracy-mongering. President Obama will not declare martial law. Here’s why.
1) President Obama has no desire to remain in the Imperial Mansion. He is set to enjoy a comfortable, taxpayer-funded retirement beginning in January 2017. He will be free to agitate, to criticize from a position of safety (no re-election to worry about) and will be required to do little or nothing but agitate. That’s what he does best. President Obama is lazy; he has no reason to want to continue in one of the most stressful jobs on the planet.
2) President Obama’s place in history is secure; too many will forget his fecklessness, his continuing destabilization of the middle east, his demagoguery. He will be remembered as the First Black President(TM) and that’s enough for him.
3) A blanket declaration of martial law is logistically and tactically impossible in a nation the size of the United States. Even were we to assume that the entire U.S. military and law enforcement communities were to agree, without argument or dissent, to enforce the declaration, our armed forces and civil police forces combined are insufficient to hold down 80-100 million armed citizens, many of whom are military veterans (yr. obdt. included.) And it is unlikely beyond belief that the military and law-enforcement communities would unquestioningly obey such a declaration. There would almost certainly be massive disobedience, if not outright rebellion, among the nation’s military members, a majority of whom hold no fondness for President Obama.
4) The United States has 4 million square miles of land, 4 million miles of paved roads, 150,000 miles of railroads, thousands of miles of navigable rivers. There is no conceivable way that the Imperial government could monitor, much less control, all of the movement of citizens along those routes. The only result of such an effort would be massive civil disobedience.
5) An effective enforcement of martial law would require the Imperial government to shut down the internet and cell phone networks. This would cause untold chaos in every aspect of life, but most notably in the business world. The vast majority of American businesses rely heavily on the internet and cell phone networks for everything from accepting credit/debit card payments to coordinating operations. This action would plunge the economy into a depression that would make the 1928-1941 depression look like a picnic, and the impact would be global; in spite of the best efforts of the President and his Democrat colleagues, the United States is still far and away the most powerful and influential economy on the planet.
6) The United States Constitution is not clear on the President’s authority to declare martial law, but it is clear on Congress’s role. Under Article I, Section 8, Clause 15, of the Constitution, Congress has the power “[t]o provide for calling forth the Militia to execute the Laws of the Union, suppress insurrections and repel Invasions.” The current Congress, which is sitting until January 2017, will issue no such declaration.
The failures, overreaches, intrusions and shortcomings of the Obama Administration are manifest. There is no reason to add to them with senseless conspiracy theories. There will be no declaration of nationwide martial law; President Obama will leave office in January 2017, as forty-three Presidents have before him, to be replaces almost certainly by Donald Trump or (hopefully not!) Her Imperial Majesty Hillary I. That’s all there is to it.
I have a standing offer, open to all comers, of a wager. I will wager 1000 rounds of XM-193 5.56mm ammo on stripper clips against a like amount of ammo that President Obama will leave office peacefully in January. Conspiracy theorists, any of you want to take that bet?